Worldwide Governance Indicators
The IFs system has collected information on governance quality from “Governance Matters VII: Governance Indicators for 1996–2007”, a World Bank Policy Research Working Paper published in 2008, authored by D. Kaufmann A. Kraay, and M. Mastruzzi. The dataset provides estimates of six dimensions of governance covering 212 countries and territories for four time periods: 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2004-2006.
These indicators are estimated based on various individual variables measuring perceptions of governance. The governance indicators dataset collected information from 25 separate data sources constructed by 18 different organizations. The governance indicator dataset was initiated in 1998 and grouped in as six dimension of governance: Voice and Accountability, Political Stability and Absence of Violence, Government Effectiveness, Regulatory Quality, Rule of Law, Control of Corruption. The dataset and detailed methodological description is available at http://info.worldbank.org/governance/wgi2007
Series taken from WGI:
Instructions on importing data from Worldwide Governance Indicators
This section explains the methodology that is to be followed when importing World Governance Indicators (WGI) data into Ifs. It also describes certain problems that a user might face in interpreting, understanding the data
Source- WGI data is published by the World Bank. The data is available at this website , http://data.worldbank.org/data-catalog/worldwide-governance-indicators
Types of Data-Following categories of data need to be imported into Ifs
- GovernanceEffect-Indicator of Governance effectiveness on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5 , where higher is better
- GovernanceRegQual-Indicator of Government regulatory quality, on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5, where a higher score is better
- GovWBGovMatCorrupt-Indicator of Control of corruption, on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5, where a higher score indicates better control over corruption.
- GovWBGovMatPolStab-Indicator of Political Stability and absence of violence. , on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5 where a higher score indicates higher political stability.
- GovWBGovMatRuleLaw-Indicator of quality of rule of law, on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5, where a higher score indicates better rule of law.
- GovWBGovMatVoiceAcct-Indicator of Voice and accountability, on a scale of -2.5 to 2.5 where a higher score indicates better Voice for citizens and higher accountability.
Country List to be Used-World Bank countries
Issues with Data import for certain countries- In certain cases, IFs does not populate data in relation to countries such as Cape Verde, Taiwan, Ivory Coast. It is recommended, that the importer verify the data in relation to said countries in order to ensure that there are no discrepancies.