Most of the data used in the water preprocessor comes from the AQUASTAT database. http://www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/main/index.stm
The AQUASTAT database can be queried on-line and the query results can be downloaded in CSV (table or flat) format. The current database regroups data per 5-year period and shows for each variable the value for the most recent year during that period, if available. For example, if for the period 2003-2007 data are available for the year 2004 and for the year 2006, then the value for the year 2006 is shown. Also, for many variables no time series can be made available yet due to lack of sufficient data. Data collection began in 1958.
Data for the variable  "Area equipped for irrigation: total" is collected by and available in both AQUASTAT and FAOSTAT and harmonization between AQUASTAT and FAOSTAT takes place on a regular basis to ensure consistency between the two. The difference between the two is that AQUASTAT only enters data for the year given in the reference, while FAOSTAT fills all years from 1961 onwards by inter- and extrapolation from the common data-points. Thus, time series on this variable can be found under FAOSTAT land, choosing the last variable in "items": Total area equipped for irrigation. For other non-water related time-series on food and agriculture see the FAOSTAT home page.
Varies by Main Database category and sub-category:
- Geography and population category: Every year (through FAOSTAT for land use and population and undernourishment, World Bank for GDP, UNDP for HDI and GII).
- Water resources category: These are long-term average annual values and therefore remain the same over the years. A comprehensive review had been undertaken in 2014.
- Water use category and Irrigation and drainage development category: For Africa, Southern and Central America & Caribbean, and Asia: between 1 and 10 years, depending on data availability which is checked at least every 5 years for each country, and with a thorough update (full dataset) every 10 years together with the country profile update. For Europe, Northern America, Australia and New Zealand: depends on data availability from Eurostat and OECD.
- Updates of data for some specific sub-categories are being done in collaboration with others, as and when data become available, such as: wastewater sub-category in collaboration with IWMI; conservation agriculture sub-category in collaboration with Conservation Agriculture expert groups; access to improved drinking water source sub-category data are provided by the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation.
- Some of the variables are updated during major review exercises (see the other datasets below).
AquaStat Questionnaires and Guidelines
AQUASTAT uses questionnaires and prepares guidelines with detailed definitions and instructions, implements projects to strengthen national capacities, and holds workshops to clarify some of the more complex data concepts. Survey information is as follows:
To reach the above objective, it has been decided to proceed as follows, with two surveys:
- Every 5-10 years: a detailed global survey to prepare/update country profiles and regional syntheses. This document refers to this survey, which is prepared on the basis of a detailed questionnaire filled in at country level by national and regional experts, under the supervision of FAO/NRL.
- Every year: a small global survey to ensure regular updating of the existing country profiles, of key changes at country level, especially on the area equipped for irrigation and on the institutional and policy aspects. It is done by concerned institutions, which are willing to participate, and is managed in the regional and central offices of FAO.
The 5-10 year survey aims at preparing national country profiles in a homogeneous way. It ensures participation of national experts, in charge of the information collection and report drafting at the country level, and validation by FAO experts. The experts are provided with:
- A detailed questionnaire to be completed for each country at national level (and sub-national level for some variables) on the basis of existing available information
- Detailed guidelines for preparing a country profile and gathering qualitative information
- Explanatory notes and definitions to ensure consistency in the use of concepts and words and facilitate computation
Costs should be expressed in US$ (United States Dollars) in the questionnaire and country profiles. The conversion used to pass from the local currency to US$ should be the one that was valid in the year to which the value refers and should be indicated in the comments.
Definitions for every series can be found in this document: http://www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/sets/aq-5yr-guide_eng.pdf
New Series added
- Direct use of not treated municipal wastewater for irrigation purposes
- Irrigated crop intensity
- Area equipped for irrigation by surface water
- Area equipped for irrigation by groundwater
- Area equipped for irrigation by mixed surface water and groundwater
- Area equipped for irrigation by direct use of treated municipal wastewater
- Area equipped for irrigation by direct use of non-treated municipal wastewater
- Area equipped for irrigation by direct use of agricultural drainage water
- Area equipped for irrigation by desalinated water
- Irrigation water withdrawal
- Irrigation water requirement
- Direct use of treated municipal wastewater for irrigation purposes
- area equipped for irrigation: actually irrigated
- area equipped for full control irrigation: total
- Area equipped for full control irrigation: actually irrigated
Every country, with the exception of Kosovo, is included in the database. However, available data for each country varies by series.
|IFs Countries||FAO Countries|
|United Arab Emirates||United Arab Emirates|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Burkina Faso||Burkina Faso|
|Bolivia||Bolivia (Plurinational State of)|
|Congo, Democratic Republic of||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|Central African Republic||Central African Republic|
|Congo, Republic of||Congo|
|Cote d'Ivoire||Côte d'Ivoire|
|Costa Rica||Costa Rica|
|Cape Verde||Cabo Verde|
|Czech Republic||Czech Republic|
|Dominican Republic||Dominican Republic|
|Egypt, Arab Republic of||Egypt|
|Micronesia, Fed. Sts.||Micronesia (Federated States of)|
|United Kingdom||United Kingdom|
|Equatorial Guinea||Equatorial Guinea|
|Hong Kong||China, Hong Kong SAR|
|Iran, Islamic Republic of||Iran (Islamic Republic of)|
|Korea, Democratic People's Republic of||Democratic People's Republic of Korea|
|Korea, Republic of||Republic of Korea|
|Laos, People's Democratic Republic||Lao People's Democratic Republic|
|St. Lucia||Saint Lucia|
|Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka|
|Moldova||Republic of Moldova|
|Macedonia, Former Yugoslav Republic of||The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia|
|New Zealand||New Zealand|
|Papua New Guinea||Papua New Guinea|
|Puerto Rico||Puerto Rico|
|Palestine||Occupied Palestinian Territory|
|Russian Federation||Russian Federation|
|Saudi Arabia||Saudi Arabia|
|Solomon Islands||Solomon Islands|
|Sierra Leone||Sierra Leone|
|Sudan South||South Sudan|
|Sao Tome and Principe||Sao Tome and Principe|
|El Salvador||El Salvador|
|Syrian Arab Republic||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Taiwan, China||China, Taiwan Province of|
|Tanzania||United Republic of Tanzania|
|United States||United States of America|
|St. Vincent and the Grenadines||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Venezuela||Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)|
|Yemen, Republic of||Yemen|
|South Africa||South Africa|
- Download the data from the Aquastat Database. http://www.fao.org/nr/water/aquastat/data/query/index.html?lang=en. Select all countries and all years. There are too many variables to download all variables at once. Divide the variables by topics (ie geography and population, water resources, etc) download this data via the "Flat" option.
- Change the codes in the Datadict for every variable downloaded in this Excel file. The codes need to match to match the variables listed in the downloaded data exactly.
- Check to ensure no changes are needed in the FAO Country translation. In the most recent update China, Sudan and South Sudan all needed to be updated.
- Upload data in IFs using the batch pool option. There will be multiple excel sheets, as the AquaStat data cannot download all variables at once. After the first excel sheet is updated, unselect data that was imported; otherwise this data will be uploaded again with a new excel sheet, and you will lose the already imported data.
- Vet. The most recent update reveiled errors in data in some series. You may need extensive vetting.
- Some series do not contain enough data in the database to be updated. These include: