Authored Books by Barry B. Hughes about IFs and Modeling
- World Modeling (Lexington, MA: Lexington Books, 1980).
- World Futures (Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985).
- International Futures: Choices in the Search for a New World Order (Boulder, CO: Westview, 1993, 1996, 1999). Published with computer simulation. Licensed for translation into Chinese.
- Exploring and Shaping International Futures (Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers, 2006). Co-authored with Evan E. Hillebrand.
Edited Volumes, Other Monographs, and Computer Simulations
- International Futures Simulation (Iowa City: CONDUIT, 1982). Simulation, User's Manual and Technical Document. Microcomputer version, 1985.
- Basics in Forecasting (Iowa City: CONDUIT, 1986). Winner of 1987 Media and Methods Award.
- International Futures (IFs), completion of 5th generation in 2006. Probably the most widely available and used multi-issue, long-term global computer simulation.
Articles and Contributions to Books * denotes Peer-Reviewed publication
- *"An Interactive Multilevel World Model, Futures, August, 1973, with others.
- "Using the World Integrated Model (WIM) to Evaluate African Development Prospects, in Timothy Shaw, ed. Alternative Futures for Africa (Boulder: Westview Press, 1981), with Patricia Strauch.
- "Global Modeling and Decision-Making," in William Evan, ed., Knowledge and Power in a Global Society (Beverly Hills: Sage Publications, 1981), with Mihajlo Mesarovic.
- *"World Models: The Bases of Difference," International Studies Quarterly, March, 1985.
- "International Futures (IFs): History and Status," Social Science Computer Review (Spring, 1988) Vol. 6, No. 1
- "The International Futures (IFs) Modeling Project," Simulation and Gaming 30, No. 3 (September, 1999): 304-326. Invited.
- "Choices in the Face of Uncertainty: The International Futures (IFs) Model, Futures 33 (2001): 55-62. Invited.
- “International Futures (IFs) Model,” UNESCO Enclyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), Developed under the Auspices of the UNESCO, Eolss Publishers, Oxford, UN, http://www.eolss.net, 2002. Invited.
- Forecasting Globalization: The Use of International Futures (IFs),” in George Modelski, Tessaleno Devezas, and William R. Thompson, eds., Globalization as Evolutionary Process: Modeling, Simulating, and Forecasting Global Change. London and New York: Routledge (Taylor and Francis), 2007.
- “Assessing Strategies for Reducing Poverty,” International Studies Review 9, no. 4 (2007): 690-710, with Mohammod T. Irfan.